Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Mystery Readers

Well, the summer has just been flying by so far y'all. I actually had surgery again this past Monday, so I've been trying to recuperate from that-not getting very much done.

I follow teacher groups on FB and one of the questions that has been coming up is how do you get your parents involved. One of the things I have tried without much success in the past has been Mystery Readers. This year I think it was more successful because I really talked it up with the kids. Friday mornings I would give them hints as to who was coming and they would make their guesses as to who it was. Some parents brough their own favorite stories, some used ours from the classroom library. Some were gifted storytellers, some were a bit nervous. All the kiddos enjoyed hearing someone else read to them.

I used Sign-Up Genius  http://www.signupgenius.com/ to put in the days we had available and linked that to our class site. I had many 10 different moms and dads come read this year-which I consider a success! :)



So just an idea-in case you are looking to beef up your parent involvement techniques as well! :) 







3 comments :

  1. Smart of you to use signup genius. That's such an easy way for parents to sign up for classroom stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I'm going to do that next year. Never even heard of signup genius, so thank you.
    Recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used signup genius for myself. My daughter's marching band uses it all the time. I'm going to try that this year. I've had a hard time getting mystery readers, but the kids LOVE it. The grandparents are usually the kids favorites!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete