Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Jan Brett's the Hat Story

Jan Brett is one of my favorite authors to do an author study with. I know the Mitten is very popular, but my all-time favorite of her stories is:


I've read it a million times and the picture of the chicken with his "hat" still makes me giggle! A hedgehog gets a sock stuck on his prickles and ends up making the others very envious of his new accessory. It makes for great compare/contrast activities with the Mitten and the Umbrella.

I asked the students to write their own stories in the same vein. Choose an animal and a piece of clothing for their own story. Here's what they came up with:

Once there was a cat and a dress, sock and shirt.


My animals is a kangaroo. It will ear a trash bag.

Once upon a time an elephant was wearing a shawl on his head.

Once upon a time there was a mouse and the mouse got a ladder and climbed up and got a dress.


Once upon a time there was a cat. She had a dress and a winter hat.

If I won a pig I would wear a scarf and a hat.

Once upon a time there was a snake who wore a scarf.

A reindeer wearing a shirt on his antlers.

Once upon a tmie there was a horse with a mittion. The horse was tired. She wants
to get it down.


No comments :

Post a Comment